Benefits of Papaya
Botanical Name: Carica Papaya Linn
Papaya plant is a native of West Indies and Central America. But now cultivated all over India in a moderate climate. The ripened papaya fruit is well known for its health benefits.
Papaya leaves, latex (mix exudate), seed and fruits are extensively used in the treatment of pain, bleeding piles, constipation, dysmenorrhea, poisonous bites of insects and skin diseases.
Papita (Papaya) Medicinal Properties
- Rasa (Taste) of leaf – Katu (Pungent), Tikta (Bitter)
- Guna (Properties) – Laghu (Light for digestion), Ruksa (Dry), Tikshna (Pungent)
- Vipaka - Katu (Undergoes to pungent taste conversion after digestion)
- Veerya (Potency) – Ushna (Hot)
- Karma - Kaphavatahara (pacifies Kapha and Vata doshas), Hridya (benefits the heart)
- Fruit, Leaf, Latex, Seed
- Leaf infusion 40-80 ml
- Seed powder: 0.5- 1g
- Latex: 3-6 g
Uses of Papaya
- The milk from the raw papaya is applied over mouth ulcer, scorpion bitten area to relieve the pain, over wounds and bleeding piles too.
- The ripened fruit of papaya is consumed to relieve constipation.
- The leaves of the papaya plant are slightly heated and applied locally over the part of the body to relieve pain and swelling.
- The milk of raw papaya is applied locally to relieve skin diseases like eczema, ringworm.
- The papaya fruit is consumed to strengthen the muscles of the heart.
- Kasa – cold, cough
- Shwasa – asthma, respiratory disorders involving difficulty in breathing
- Yakrutodara – Liver enlargement, hepatomegaly
- Pleehodara – splenomegaly, enlarged spleen
- Mandagni – low digestion strength
- Shotha – oedema, swelling, inflammatory conditions.
- Visha – toxic conditions
How to eat Papaya?
- Its fruits are consumed readily.
- Fruits are added as an ingredient of fruit salad, along with banana, apple etc.
- Fruits are sprinkled with black pepper powder for added taste.
- Its fruit juice is prepared by adding few cardamoms.
Harmful effects of Papaya
Pregnant women should not consume raw papaya as the milk present in the raw papaya may cause abortion. In the folklore practice, raw papaya is used to cause abortion.