Milk And Its Properties
Characteristics of Milk
Milk is sweet in taste and has a metabolic effect.
- It is unctuous in nature and helps increase vitality and tissue formation
- It helps pacify vata and pitta.
- It is also an aphrodisiac and is cool in nature.
- It is heavy to digest and increases kapha.
- It is restorative and regenerative.
- Helps overcome weakness following injury and promote strength.
- Also a laxative and galactagogue.
- Found very effective to overcome giddiness, intoxication, fatigue, cough, thirst, hunger, dysuria and even in chronic fever.
- Found to be extremely heavy to digest and cooling in nature. Hence suitable for bulimia and Insomnia.
- It is light to digest.
- Found effective in emaciation, fever, diarrhea and even in bleeding disorders.
- Has less fat content and slightly salty in taste.
- Being hot in potency found suitable for vata and kapha.
- Also for parasitic infestation, edema, ascitis and even in piles.
- It helps cure eye diseases and is used in treatment modalities of Tarpana, Aschothana, and Nasyam.
- Not stomachic and also hot in potency.
- Found effective for vata but causes belching, dyspnoea and vitiates pitta and kapha.
- Provides strength to the body.
- Is heavy to digest, but when properly boiled has opposite properties.
- Is heavy to digest.
- It is said that freshly drawn milk resembles divine elixir in properties.